Is recycling a bad idea? While recycling can help us use less new materials, it does take some amount of energy to convert into a usable material once again. Reusing materials is a great alternative that can give old things a brand new life, without having to expend extra fossil fuels and creating greenhouse gases in doing so. In June 2009, the theme for Green Tip of the Day was reusing. Below, you can find many tips to help you start to reuse more thing in your life:
- 6/1/09 Green Tip of the Day: Set out several rain buckets to collect the water for your vegetable garden!
- 6/2/09 Green Tip of the Day: Attend your weekly farmer’s market to support local fresh fruits & veggies!
- 6/3/09 Green Tip of the Day: BBQ grills can be recycled as scrap metal after removing the propane tank.
- 6/4/09 Green Tip of the Day: Use an old toothbrush to clean hard to reach areas of the sink, drain & grout!
- 6/5/09 Green Tip of the Day: Reuse your old CD’s in some very creative ways! http://www.squidoo.com/oldcd
- 6/6/09 Green Tip of the Day: When watering the lawn be sure that the sprinklers are aimed at only the grass
- 6/7/09 Green Tip of the Day: Always use care & be aware of the potential side effects of cellphone use and wireless phone use.
- 6/8/09 Green Tip of the Day: Stop trade of sea life and don’t buy coral, sea turtle shells, or shark products.
- 6/9/09 Green Tip of the Day: Take old paints, used motor oil & batteries to a hazardous waste collection.
- 6/10/09 Green Tip of the Day: Don’t fertilize before a rainstorm-it will wash off the lawn to a storm drain.
- 6/11/09 Green Tip of the Day: Prerinsing won’t increase dishwasher efficiency & wastes ~ 20 gal. water/load.
- 6/12/09 Green Tip of the Day: Reuse old items & turn them into a green fashion statement.
- 6/13/09 Green Tip of the Day: On unhealthy air action alert days wait to mow lawn til evening/early morning.
- 6/14/09 Green Tip of the Day: Keep plastic and garbage out of the ocean when at a beach, on a boat or in the water.
- 6/15/09 Green Tip of the Day: When needed recycle your TV and get an EnergyStar rated TV.
- 6/16/09 Green Tip of the Day: Check how much of your electricity is a renewable green source (wind and solar) and plan to purchase from green energy sources.
- 6/17/09 Green Tip of the Day: Earth seems like it has abundant water but only 1% is available for humans, making it even more important to conserve water.
- 6/18/09 Green Tip of the Day: Is your handsoap contaminating dolphins? Use an organic hand soap instead.
- 6/19/09 Green Tip of the Day: If you buy new washer look for high-efficiency (use less than 28 gal/H2O/wash).
- 6/20/09 Green Tip of the Day: Reusing and recycling natural resources (copper, gold) reduces mining impact!
- 6/21/09 Green Tip of the Day: eCycling captures and reuses lead/chromium. This helps avoid land, air, and water pollution
- 6/22/09 Green Tip of the Day: Reuse rain water from your roof to water your lawn.
- 6/23/09 Green Tip of the Day: Eating slower makes you consume less & digest better. Read the health benefits of eating slower here.
- 6/24/09 Green Tip of the Day: Skip the disposable brown bags and give your kids a reusable lunch container.
- 6/25/09 Green Tip of the Day: Here are 5 ways you can start reusing two liter soda bottles.
- 6/26/09 Green Tip of the Day: Reduce light pollution and help darken our skies by following the tips mentioned in the link.
- 6/27/09 Green Tip of the Day: Meet 50 people on Squidoo who are caring for the environment.
- 6/28/09 Green Tip of the Day: Give trees as earth friendly wedding favors: http://www.plantamemory.com/
- 6/29/09 Green Tip of the Day: Instead of traveling, hold a free meeting online.
- 6/30/09 Green Tip of the Day: Make your own reusable shopping bags from household things.
Photo of plastic water bottles by Horia Varlan.
To further your green way of life, visit TheGreenerEarth.com today and shop for products like reusable paper towels, reusable dryer sheets, chemical free, natural bug spray, organic spa quality lotions, and other eco friendly products!